Friday, February 4, 2011

Where to Start

So, I guess I can start at the beginning, even though I said I would start from this point in my life. But the beginning really isn't the beginning, but more this point in my life.


I'm currently unemployed. Longer than I have been since my wife and I got married 9 1/2 years ago. I lost my job Nov. 4th, 2010, and it was the worst feeling in my life. I felt like I let my family down. I felt helpless. I felt lost. I felt hopeless. But at the same time I was trying to be strong for myself as well as for my family.


I don't really know what happened! It just happened so fast and unexpectedly. To this day I still don't know why. I guess that just makes it that much more difficult to accept. I was happy where I was at. Earning a good living. Being able to afford the things my family needed and wanted. Being with people at work that I enjoyed spending time with. I guess it was just too good to be true. And here I am now.


However, being off has afforded me the luxury of spending my days with my son when he isn't in school. Taking him to school in the mornings and picking him up after school. All things that I was unable to do when I was working. For this I find myself to be very fortunate. But at the same time, I fear that the time that I have been spending with my son just hasn't been as complete as maybe I should have made it. I've been focusing more on myself and less on him than I should have. I guess I'm in a rut because of the curve that life has thrown at me. But even still, I would never trade the time I have had with my son for any job that I have ever had or could dream to have.


Since day one of my unemployment, I have been actively looking for work. But, as we are not completely out of the recession that we were in a couple of years ago, it is tough to find work. For the past 13 years, I have worked in the manufacturing industry, making everything from engines to alcohol, to automotive parts. And being that that is all that I know, makes it that much more difficult to find work.


Sure I've sent out hundreds of resumes, and have had a number of interviews and calls. But I am still waiting for that offer to come my way. I have been working with a placement agency since November on a position with a new company to the Windsor area. But still nothing has panned out with that. All of my interviews took place prior to the holidays, and then it was just sit back and wait. Changes happened with the employer before they could even get started and snags happened as well. But I am still hopeful, as all of my conversations with the agency have been very positive regarding the position.


Windsor is one of the cities in this country that needs to turn itself around and focus more on diversifying ourselves in the renewable energy industry and aerospace, and put less emphasis on the auto industry. It's sad to say, but Windsor really is a one trick pony.


And now to add to my excitement over the past three months...my wife and I have decided that it is time we really take control of our lives and get serious about losing weight. She has done it in the past with some success, but was unable to keep the weight off. And then she got pregnant with our son, and put more weight on. But through the years, and I'm not just saying this, my wife is just a beautiful as the day we met.


And now it is my turn. I am ready to take the proverbial bull by the horns, and take control of my weight and my body once and for all. A number of years ago, my wife and I did the Atkins diet. At first it was great. Eat all the meat and cheese and eggs and proteins that you want. Just "NO CARBS"! Well, we lost some weight. I think I lost twenty pounds, and my wife lost about the same. But it just didn't feel right. So, like most other dieters, we gave up and put ALL of the weight back on and then some.


BUT NO MORE!!! It is time. It is time to drop the weight and keep it off! We have both been inspired by Dr. Oz and his book 'YOU: On A Diet' . So far so good. I like what I have been reading. And at the same time we read '4 Hour Body' by Timothy Ferriss. And I have to tell you, I am very intrigued and excited to get started. Tim's methods seem unorthodox to most people. But Dr. Oz read his book and seemed to be very impressed. Not only was he impressed, but he was able to give medical reasoning for why the methods work for people and in a good way at that.










And so, 'My Journey' begins.


'My Journey' to a new career.
'My Journey' to a new body.
'My Journey' to being a better father and husband.
'My Journey' to being the person I should have been all along.


I will end this entry today with my starting weight...335 lbs as of this morning.
My height...6'3"
My age...37...38 in March
My pant size...46...(44 in Tommy Jeans)


I guess I really don't have a target weight. Everyone says you should have a target weight. But I don't. I really don't think that is important to me right now. Dr. Oz says to look at where you were when you were 21. Well I was fluctuating between 240 and 260. And my pant size was between 36 and 38. So, I guess if I had to pick a weight, I would say 250 is my target. But more importantly to me is to get down to a pant size of 36 again. I want to be able to go shopping and be able to buy a pair of pants that I like, and not have to worry about finding them in the "big mens store". I want to be able to buy a shirt at the Gap or Hugo Boss, and to know that I won't look like I just did the 'Fat Guy in a Small Jacket' skit. I know there are thing about my body that I will not be able to change. But those that I can, I plan on changing to the fullest extent that I possibly can.


I want to look forward to going away on vacation next year somewhere warm, and not being embarrassed about how I look in shorts with my shirt off.


I want to go scuba diving again. I want to be comfortable on a motorcycle again. I want to be able to run with my son when I coach his soccer team, and not be out of breath.


And so this is where I will end it for now. And I will do my best to keep this up on a weekly basis. I will be making entries about my weight. About my family. About my career. And about anything in general that I feel like talking about at the time.


Thank you for taking time to ready my rambling thoughts.


Regards,


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment